Magical Mistakes plays on a global field, but there’s a unique other-worldly vibe that is foundational to the high art that is his music. This is mostly in part to the North American beatsmith’s supreme divulgence in Japanese culture – a culture so rich and so disparate that the average American would it find alien. This utterly strong contrast, the land of his birth with his adopted culture, enables Magical Mistakes to weave a musical tapestry with infinite possibilities and a subsequent richness that is uniquely his own.
While deeply involved with various projects and labels in Osaka, Japan (his adopted home), Magical Mistakes turned to his homeland to release Decompose / Reassemble, joining up with the equally unique Canadian label King Deluxe (a favorite here at High On Beats). Similar to label mates Julien Mier and Alphabets Heaven, Magical Mistakes blends live instrumentation and peculiar found sounds, breaking them with technology and rebuilding it all into lush, pretty beats that are magically timeless and culturally relevant.
For his HIGHCAST mix, Magical Mistakes extends that keen taste into a 40 minute journey filled with unreleased gems from the man himself. Enjoy.
- Free the Robots – Take Flight (Ramza remix) (Perfect Touch)
- James Holden – Renata (weird edit my own) (Border Community)
- Magical Mistakes – New Untitled (UNRELEASED)
- Kyoka – Hadue (Raster Norton)
- Plastikman – Disconnect (Novamute)
- Phoebe Kiddo – Inevitable Diaspora of Clouds (Nonprojects)
- DJAO & Running in the Fog & Natasha Kmeto – RBMA Basscamp Session
- Matthewdavid – Artforms (Brainfeeder)
- Magical Mistakes – New Untitled ( UNRELEASED)
- Oscar McClure – Leaves (my edit with strings) (Leaving Records)
- Nathan Fake – Paean (Border Community)
- Julien Mier – Glide, Sail, Float (Sam a la Bamalot remix) (King Deluxe)
- Magical Mistakes – Unconscious (UNRELEASED)
- Magical Mistakes – Suspended (UNRELEASED)
- Magikal Cloudz – Bugs Don’t Buzz (Matador)
- Yuri Popowycz – My Cookie Heart (UNRELEASED)
PURCHASE “Decompose / Reassemble”